Solar radiant heating in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Denise's zoo, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Denise's zoo

Denise's zoo New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    So, I was rasied a city gal. My parents motto, "Pets belong in the house with their family". Admittedly, I have carried this motto as well, 2 labs, 1 husky, 4 cats, and 1 rabbit all snuggled up by the fire on those cold winter nights! When we decided to get chickens and I asked my husband how we were going to heat the coop, he laughed at me and told me chickens have lived successfully in drafty old barns for years... they will be fine in a well vented coop. It may have been the threat of bringing them in the house that spawned the solar radiant heat. We built the coop entirely out of used and, might I add free materials with the exception of piping, fittings, and insulation. This was our goal when we set out, so we were pretty excited with the finished product. I had a few questions from others about the coop, so I though I'd post some pictures. In the winter the sun shines on the solar panels, which heats the liquid that runs through the tubes. The liquid circulates, radiating the heat through the floor. At night, we have some bricks and things that hold the temperture and continue to radiant heat. Last year the average temperature in the coop was 35. This year we are adding more mass to absorb the heat and increase the average temperature. All without an increase in the electric bill!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Neat! I like it. What is the material on the inside walls? Looks interesting.

Our winters here in North Texas are quite mild, but I have small bantams and I also fuss over their comfort. I built a nice, snug, insulated coop for them to enjoy this winter. but I'm also going to play around with some passive solar heating. I'm planning to rig up a simple sunporch like this on the south wall of the coop so that the warm air goes right into the rear vent of the coop:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/MiniPolySunspace.htm

I've pretty much got the building materials lying around, so it won't cost much, and I'm interested in seeing how much warmth I can add to the coop during the day.

3. Denise's zoo

Denise's zoo New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    The stuff on the walls is tongue and groove wainscotting boards from a home that was demolished. We cut and laid them the long way. Worked nicely! We are working on the runs and planning to paint the outside at some point, just haven't gotten to that on the list yet! [​IMG] I like the sun porch idea, we are building a solar window heater to test for our house...same concept!! I'd be curious how the porch turns out!

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    That is awesome! How cold are winters where you are? Here in TN we got to 0 F for several weeks last winter.

Thanks for sharing that! [​IMG]

5. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    I really like the inside and your perches. Nice nest boxes, too!

Remember to check at your local home improvement store for "oops" paint. That's the paint they sell at a discounted price because the color wasn't right or whatever. Anytime you can pick up a gallon of better grade paint for $9, GRAB it.

I recently grabbed a can of exterior paint that is lavendar. I plan to use it on the inside of the coop. It was cheaper than buying a gallon of interior paint and being exterior should make it last longer. I don't think my laying flock will be offended with purple walls. Maybe I can trim the little hen doors with a thin stripe of the lavendar? Don't want the husband having a cow, lol.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Denise's zoo :

The stuff on the walls is tongue and groove wainscotting boards from a home that was demolished. We cut and laid them the long way.

Nice recycling!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by