Solar ventilation - FYI

bigjohn

Songster
14 Years
May 24, 2008
Georgia
I have a shed that I keep my birds in and it has two windows with no other ventilation. The temp went up to 90 degrees even in this Spring weather. I do not have power to my building and it would cost 700.00 dollars to run power. So I went to Home Depot and purchased a 10 watt GAF solar gable fan and installed it. Actually, just set it up temporarily until I can mount the fan. Anyway, as soon as that little panel is exposed to sun, it starts the fan which cools down the building very fast. I am so impressed with how well it works. I really thought something like this would be a toy, but the fan really is powerful and keeps the air moving.

If you have a coop or building that really needs venting, be sure to check it out.

Of course, if you need a gable vent for your house, you can't go wrong with this unit. I will probably install a couple on my home soon now that I know they actually work as advertised.

When the sun goes down, the fan stops (unless you have a battery), but by then the temps have lowered enough to keep everyone fairly comfortable and the eggs from cooking until I can get home to gather them.

There are a few on Ebay for 155.00 with free shipping. Locally they are a bit more. Not as cheap as an extension cord and a box fan but certainly very practical and no charge for the electricity you generate.

Just keep a close eye on it and clean it regularly -- regular (non ag type) fans do not tend to have long or happy lifespans in chicken coops. Not just an issue of failure but potentially of fire hazard, if it gets to dusted/gunked up.

Have fun,

Pat, continually considering installing a couple of those in the attic but still with too many other things higher on the to-do list
tongue.png

I'd like to try it!!

I'm currently experimenting with 8 solar night lights. The cheapest ones hardly work when it's overcast ALL day, but the better ones will light even on those days for at least 4-5 hours after dark.

They all REALLY help me feed my critters late at night where I have dark spots on the property.

Back
Top Bottom