Solar ventilation - FYI

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bigjohn, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a shed that I keep my birds in and it has two windows with no other ventilation. The temp went up to 90 degrees even in this Spring weather. I do not have power to my building and it would cost 700.00 dollars to run power. So I went to Home Depot and purchased a 10 watt GAF solar gable fan and installed it. Actually, just set it up temporarily until I can mount the fan. Anyway, as soon as that little panel is exposed to sun, it starts the fan which cools down the building very fast. I am so impressed with how well it works. I really thought something like this would be a toy, but the fan really is powerful and keeps the air moving.

If you have a coop or building that really needs venting, be sure to check it out.

Of course, if you need a gable vent for your house, you can't go wrong with this unit. I will probably install a couple on my home soon now that I know they actually work as advertised.

When the sun goes down, the fan stops (unless you have a battery), but by then the temps have lowered enough to keep everyone fairly comfortable and the eggs from cooking until I can get home to gather them.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Interesting!

Looks like the solar panels are getting better all the time.

3. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    are they expensive?

4. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    There are a few on Ebay for 155.00 with free shipping. Locally they are a bit more. Not as cheap as an extension cord and a box fan but certainly very practical and no charge for the electricity you generate.

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Very interesting, I need to do some research on those.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Cool!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Just keep a close eye on it and clean it regularly -- regular (non ag type) fans do not tend to have long or happy lifespans in chicken coops. Not just an issue of failure but potentially of fire hazard, if it gets to dusted/gunked up.

Have fun,

Pat, continually considering installing a couple of those in the attic but still with too many other things higher on the to-do list [​IMG]

8. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I've looked into these too. I was wondering if for a smaller coop a smaller (cheaper) solar vent, like those for greenhouses and RV's would work? For example, here's one currently on eBay for $27.99: Solar RV/Boat/Green House Vent

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I'd like to try it!!

I'm currently experimenting with 8 solar night lights. The cheapest ones hardly work when it's overcast ALL day, but the better ones will light even on those days for at least 4-5 hours after dark.

They all REALLY help me feed my critters late at night where I have dark spots on the property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by