Solar water heating.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pick-a-pepper, Nov 25, 2012.

1. pick-a-pepper

pick-a-pepper New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    In the winter we use a heated dog water dish for our chickens. We used to run a long extension cord from the garage out to the coop, but recently moved the coop further off and now running a cord is not feasible.
    We would like to get a solar panel to supply enough power to run the water heater. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions?

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Where you're located and the power consumption by the heater will determine your cost. Wind may be a better alternative.

3. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    You are better off using the sun to directly heat the water rather than generate electricity to then heat the water. There are many examples of solar water heaters on the internet that are easy to build. A heavily insulated passive design is the most simple to build.

Something along the same lines as this:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/StockTank/SolarStockTankProto.htm

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It can be done if you're willing to spend several hundred dollars
    You could buy a spool of underground wire and run power to the coop for less

5. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    Wondering if anybody has figured out a better mouse trap to this question. My thoughts seem to lead to physics just not in its favor to do it cost effectively yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by