Solarizing a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by VI KING RANCH, Jul 21, 2011.

1. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I just bought a 600 volt solar panel for $25 and I was wondering how to hook it up to my coop.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

you'd have to get a golf cart battery, and a...I cant remember what it's called (I installed one years ago) its not a regulator but that is what it dose you can go onto real goods site it will tell you what you need.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. VI KING RANCH

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    K thx

4. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:6 King,

Please recheck the specs on that panel. I have a 3kw array on my house and all 15 panels wired in series make just under 600V. Typically PV (photovoltaic) panels are rated in watts. A 3' x 5' panel is around 200 watts.

In order to use the electricity made by your panel you could:

- hook it directly to a DC fan to ventilate it in the daytime

- hook it to a charge controller & a battery to run a 12V fan / lights (without a charge controller you will likely cook a battery)

- hook it to an inverter to run 110VAC appliances

What are you looking to power in your coop?

Mikey

5. VI KING RANCH

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I want to power a light or two and a 110 outlet. I have access to more panels if needed.

6. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    watching this thread closely- although i can run a cord to the coop for winter- i eventually want to get it going solar [​IMG] for a heated water bowl- maybe a fan in summer

7. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Sounds like you'll need a small battery bank - maybe even one car sized deep cycle battery, a charge controller to make sure you don't cook it and an inverter to run your lights and appliances. The best way (IMHO) to go would be 12VDC LED's inside the coop for lights (super low current draw) and an inverter for the 110VAC power. You can get the 12V led lights off of ebay for one or two dollars apiece.

I an very interested in you panels and if you would be able to source some for your fellow chicken lovers... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by