1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sold 3 of my babies :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skillswife, Jun 29, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I hatched 7 ducklings out of 7 eggs about a month ago. 2 were pekin and 5 were Rouen. But I just don't have the space for all of them so the kids and I made a tough decision to sell a few. I sold 3 of the rouen today, it was sad. I think its hard when you incubate and hatch them, but I know its best for them. And I still have 4 so thats a good thing right? Maybe eventually I will have a better set up for more ducks, my 2 rouen are hen and drake, hmmmmm fertile eggs, lol.

2. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    I think it is hard. We hatched eggs this Easter for the first time ever, using a broody hen. I am more attached to these guys than the store bought chicks- just because I anticipated it so long, I was really excited to finally see them. It was such a cool experience seeing them come into the world! Two of the four were boys. I found one of them a great home on BYC. The other is a very friendly and gentle Easter Egger, and I am having such a hard time finding him anywhere. I can sympathize with you. I never thought I'd care about a rooster. But I do. I think about the little guy we sent off, and I know it was a better life for him. I feel bad for the EE that's left, because I don't know what will become of him. I eat chicken, and I'm not against eating my own birds some day- but I feel oddly attached to this batch. It is sad.

3. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I think it is hard too.. Right now we probably have close to a 100 yes 100 babies 2months to 1 day old.. and some of them I don't want to get rid of at all!! Nope not at all!! Expecially the ones were I had 5 or more born and only 2 have made it.. Yeah I see myself keeping them because I know I need a few more birds! [​IMG]

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I just need a bigger pond, lol. But then I think that I would never have a big enough one, because I would just keep getting more [​IMG] Glad to know I am not the only one who is so addicted to my babies!

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My rooster was very hard to part with, but we knew the neighbors would not like the crowing once he started, and we knew he was going to a home that would not eat him! That made us all very happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by