1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SOLD as a Buff Orpington and a Black Astorp Pullet (now at 4 mo ???)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by loopipi, Oct 26, 2011.

1. loopipi

loopipi Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Forest Lake
    ]Hi
    I am wondering what these two birds are and if they are hens? They where born around 4th of July 2011..]First question are they hens? Second .. what breed? The black may indeed be an Astorp but, I definitely do NOT think the red is a Buff O... as there is black in the tail and she is much too dark and flighty.. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much my experts !! sorry.. I am having trouble uploading the photos... in a minute I should have a few pic's... so sorry..
    [​IMG][/url[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think you have to have ten posts in order to upload photos.

And if no one has yet mentioned it -- [​IMG]

Glad you are here!

3. loopipi

May 26, 2010
    Forest Lake
    Hi, thanks - I think I must have cheated the system because I have a few pic's loaded... anyone want to take a guess? thanks !!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    at 4 months old-and even though those photos are hard to see full bodies...the combs and wattles suggest total pullets!

5. loopipi

May 26, 2010
    Forest Lake
    Your tickling my ears [​IMG] What breeds do you think they are? do I need to add more pic's ?
    THX SO MUCH!!

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I definitely see pullets as well...and think you are right that the "Buff" isn't a buff...maybe a cross between RIR and buff? [​IMG]

7. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I have no idea on the red, but the black one doesn't quite look right for an Australorp. Mine have very red combs and wattles. Our Black Marans have black combs/wattles or are blackish red. When it starts to lay (I agree it's a pullet) you may get another clue in the color and size of the egg.

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Both are pullets, and the suppposed Buff may be a New Hampshire. And I believe your BA is probably correct.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Anyone else think that comb doesn't look like a single comb?

Definitely not an Orpington, but, honestly I think that comb isn't a single comb, making it a unique mutt with something else behind it. Perhaps something that had a buttercup or V comb.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Nope, I think it's a small single comb..My eyes can see tiny individual comb bits sticking up-I just think it's a super small comb:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by