Sold as an EE but I'm not so sure

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kbil0461, Nov 2, 2015.

1. kbil0461

kbil0461 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    Massachusetts
    We purchased this little lady when she was 3 weeks old and were told she was an Easter egger but she doesn't really look like any other Easter egger I've seen. She's a sweet heart and we love her but Im thinking I may have to break it to my son that Bunny may not actually lay Easter eggs lol[​IMG][/IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is not an EE, and it looks as if she will soon present you with a brown egg.

3. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Sourland....looks like she may be a white rock...they are really nice birds...I wouldn't be to disappointed...she looks healthy and curious..she's a pretty girl!!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on sourland and the poppster; she looks like a White Plymouth Rock (definitely not an EE).

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Regardless how she looks she still might have a blue egg gene, or maybe not...

You won't know until she lays, there are pure white EE out there, and there are blue egg layers that lack the green/slate leg color as well, so it's still a possibility she might lay blue/green eggs...

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This.

Oh, and

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. kbil0461

kbil0461 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    Massachusetts
    She is hands down the sweetest girl in my flock and has SO much personality so no disappointment from me regardless!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Not an EE at all but, beautiful, sweet lookin' girl

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    This bird shows no traces of being an EE; no pea comb, no muff, no beard, and yellow legs; not even one characteristic typical of EEs. I would be shocked if she lays an egg any color but a shade of brown.

1 person likes this.
  10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You described characteristics of EE that still have close Ameraucana or Araucana lineage and show that historical lineage, but that is just a generalization... Since EE is not a breed, but just a generic catch all name for any bird that lays a colored egg as many hatcheries define it or any non pure bred bird that has a blue egg gene, or even a pure blood Ameraucana that isn't up to SoP there is really no definitive list of 'breed characteristics' you can apply to an EE, only generalizations as seen in current breeding trends...

For example lets imagine an EE from some Cream Legbar lineage, the Cream Legbar would not contribute muffs, a beard, or a pea comb, or the green/slate leg color but would contribute the blue egg gene making the offspring EE by most definitions...

I just hatched out a 'white star' Cream Legbar a few weeks back and have now obtained some more CL eggs split to white, in the coming years I plan to play around with some 'white star' Cream Legbar hybrids, birds that won't look like you typical EE but will in fact be EE or Olive Eggers just the same... I suspect if I was inclined I could get EE that looked very much like the above without much work at all...

In the end, yes it does not appear to be an EE as it lacks the features seen in current EE breeding trends.. Just the same, I still stand by what I said until it actually lays you won't know for sure...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by