Sold as White Egg Layers; wonder if they're Cornish X

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jbrookebarrow, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jbrookebarrow

jbrookebarrow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Baker, FL
    My dad picked up 4 of these little chicks Wednesday from a small feed store in my hometown. He specifically told the employees I didn't want meaties and they told him these are called White Egg Layers. I can't find any information about what breed they could be, but I have a sneaking suspicion my dad was given bad info. The 4 newbies look an AWFUL LOT like my confirmed Cornish X. I'm also pretty sure all 4, plus the Cornish, are roos. They're all named "Alfredo" until I learn otherwise. [​IMG]

This is Alfredo1, the confirmed Cornish X. Got him from TSC and he's a fat little booger. Hard to see, but when I say he looks identical, I'm saying I couldn't tell the 5 apart if it weren't for his being slightly older/larger than the other 4.
    [​IMG]

Here's Alfredo2,3,4 or 5 (and another to the right). They were sold as White Egg Layers, but they could seriously be Alfredo1's clones. Roos?? I'm thinking yes.
    [​IMG]

Another Alfredo2-5, from the front. They all have the same pronounced comb and smirk as this fella. Roo?
    [​IMG]

Edit: Just realized how bad the pics are. Sorry. Took them with my phone cam and didn't think to turn the light off beforehand. I'm pretty sure, of my 17 chicks, I have about 7 roos.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    They could be white leghorns. Way too young to tell sex yet, but leghorns have bigger combs than most.

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I can't see much of their feet, but what I see makes me think Leghorns. CorninhX have huge legs and feet.

4. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Wait a week then you will know if they are cornish. Do they have any black spots on them? They could also be Amberlinks.

5. keetsms

keetsms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2009
    Dry Ridge, KY
    They look like White Leghorns to me as well. I have six of them and they look just like them.

6. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    nothing about them 'screams' cornish to me... i , too, think they are white egg layers/ pearl leghorns

7. jbrookebarrow

jbrookebarrow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Baker, FL
    [​IMG] I appreciate all the feedback. I'm keeping [​IMG] with hopes they'll now not all be roos. I don't mind roos, but then again I'm new to everything and don't know how good/bad the roosters can be (or 6 of them). [​IMG]

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by