Sold as wyandotte but I'm not so sure?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MESOFRUFFEH, Jul 1, 2016.

1. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got this guy out of the "Wyandotte" tub at TSC, HOWEVER, I am pretty sure that aint what he is! I had a few EE out of that batch I got and I am starting to think they should have put "Specialty" on that tub instead of Wyandottes... this guy looks like my EE in color but his comb is not the usual EE comb and the way he holds himself is like a game bird.... I don't know how else to explain it other than he stands more upright than my others and these pics dont really do it justice either (He is not a good model he moves too much!). But I thought perhaps I would pick some brains and see if anyone else had an idea on breed. If not no biggie but it has been bugging me because he does not look like my other EE roos!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Not a Wyandotte. How old is he? And could you post a picture in daylight without flash? It is kind of hard to see him well in these pictures.

3. FFFAviaries

FFFAviaries Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Easter Egger rooster.

4. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    I can try.... I got a new phone and it does NOT want to focus on anything unless the flash is on [​IMG]. Everything comes out one big blur [​IMG]. I have tried to take pics of this guy for several weeks now and always wind up getting frustrated because of my stupid phone, but I do not have a real camera! He was about 14-15 weeks old in this pic. I will try to take some more and will update thread once I do so.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That's fine! He is probably EE, but I'm not positive.

6. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    That is what I thought too for the longest time but he just looks so different from my others when side by side!! I'll see if I cant work some camera magic!

7. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Ok I took some close up pics of this guy. I would really like to find him a home, but before I do I have a question. All my EE have little floofy cheek muffs, but obviously this guy does not. Can they still be considered an EE if they don't have the floofs?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is my EE roo I hatched out of my own EE so I know for sure what he is and he has little floofy cheeks (UGH SO CUTE it makes me wanna scream!)

I don't want to tell someone I have an EE roo if he is not an EE. Not that it probably much matters, but still, I don't want to false advertise lol!

Thanks in advance for clearing up the floofy cheek conundrum for me!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Classically, hatchery Easter eggers have the fluffy cheeks/beard. I also love that look [​IMG]

But, the last few years, I've seen a ton of clean faced Easter eggers on this board. They lay blue or green eggs and have all the other typical hatchery EE colors/traits. Just no puffy cheeks. I think that's what you have. That comb is kind of funky, though, it looks more like a mix of a rose comb than a pea comb.....I'd just sell him as a mixed breed bird and give them the background.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  9. Run Wild

Run Wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2016
    Looks like Easter egger

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like an EE gone wild - that is one crazy comb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by