Sold mt first hatching eggs today.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosebud 18, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I had a couple call me and wanted some duck eggs to hatch. I sold them for $1.00 each. Is that to much or not enough? I sell the eating eggs for $2.00 a dz. and sometimes give them away. Some people think its gross to eat duck eggs. Anyway the couple that bought the hatching eggs wanted to buy a pair of my runner ducks. I'm not sure if I can part with them but If I decide to how much should I ask for them? They are from Holderreads and beautiful ducks.

2. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Rosebud,

Speaking from experience with raising rabbits...if you have favorite animals, don't sell them, regardless of how much pressure or money the customer brings to bear. You'll most likely regret it (almost immediately), and that regret will follow you for years.

If you are attached to these specific ducks, it would be better to offer to sell the customer some of this spring's babies from those ducks, and hang on to your ducky friends.

Best wishes,

Tahai

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    $1 an egg is just about the minimum for good quality purebred duck eggs.

Mutt eggs go for a lot less, but it doesn't sound like you've got mutts.

I won't sell my favorites, nor any animal that is critical to my breeding program. If the bird is worth that much to someone else, it is worth that much to me. Offer to sell them hatchlings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by