Sold my first chicks..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shellyga, Jul 6, 2011.

1. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    First let me say that Chicken Math has exploded in my yard.. especially since I am addicted to hatching eggs!!! [​IMG]

In moving some to the outside brooder.. I looked around and said.. hummm I have ALOT of chicks! Since I had 20 RIR chicks that are 3 weeks old - I told hubby that I would put an ad on Craigslist for 15 of them... in my mind thinking that they might not sell since there are 5 pages of chickens in my area. That was my effort to generate a little space.. a little money.. and I would still have FIVE.. [​IMG]

So off to Craigslist I go.. and BAM.. I had a text within an hour.. my precious babies just left.. nice guy with nice children that are really excited. They have RIRs and love them.. just wanted to add some more to their flock. I feel a bit weird .. a bit sad.. but know that in order for my obsession to continue at the present rate (I picked up 7 dozen eggs from Nancy recently.. and have road trips planned for next week) .. I have to sell some here and there.

Anyone else have trouble letting go?? [​IMG]

Shelly

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Isn't it bittersweet? You think "hey, look at me! I'm a chicken farmer! Made space for more, made a little cash" then you think "but I'm sure gonna miss those little guys". My DH made me sell chicks last year. I admit it, I was completely out of control- there were chickens running around everywhere. I didn't want to sell ANY of them. That first sale was hard for me, but unlike your area, there aren't a ton of ads advertising chickens. I sold them fast, and I sold them for a pretty penny. That made me feel a little better about getting rid of them, but I still wonder sometimes. Congrats on your sale! And good luck with your future hatches!!!!

3. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I have 7 hens and 8 new little chicks running around. Mom of one group has kicked hers away - 3 of them. I knew I wouldn't have space for the new chicks when I gave my broodies the eggs to hatch. I knew I would give them back to the people who "sold" me the fertilized eggs. I knew that.

But the 3 Dominiques are adorable, and a tight knit group now that mom has left them. If I give one away I have to give them all away because they're a tight group. But if I give them all away, I won't have any Dominiques, and they are so cute with their fuzzy gray striped pajamas on...

The other 5 I don't know too well yet. But I'm sure I'll find a reason why I couldn't possibly give them away...

Selling or no selling, how do you give these little cuties up?

UGH.

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Congratulation on selling your first chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by