Sold my hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gal_amy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. gal_amy

gal_amy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    I had 12 very healthy pullets I sold, mainly because I can't eat all the eggs, and am going in the hole.

I want the use the chicken yard to house my dog.

The yard is a 6Foot by 3Foot chain link kennel. What should I use to disinfect it to house my dog?

I thought of water and hydrogen peroxide. I know bleach is toxic to dogs and children.

He's a healthy german shepherd. We also have a back yard surrounded by a nice wooden fence, but right now he needs to be contained at times.

How do I keep him healthy? He is 9 months old.

2. 94countrygrl

94countrygrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    to be quite honest. water, soap and alot of elbow grease will do a perfectly fine job... get one of those multiple choice squirter things, make sure it has "jet" as an option. that should do a really good job, especially if your chickens were healthy. My dog walks around the chicken area all the time and hes more than healthy! :) the main thing is you want to make sure you dont leave any droppings or stuff like that in the hen yard!

3. gal_amy

gal_amy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    We do have bedding in the yard so I hit it pretty heavy with plain water. But soap sounds good:)

4. 94countrygrl

94countrygrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2013
    yah you could get the bedding wet... and normally what I do is use a snow shovel to scrape up my bedding stuff! Yah I use soap in my coop and it works great!! :) Glad it helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by