Sold my rooster yesterday and he won't be eaten!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kla37, Sep 28, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I had to sell my really pretty and really sweet black australorp rooster yesterday. The ad was on Craigslist for just one day and I had someone that already owns 9 young australorp pullets, so our boy will have a nice little harem to take care of. It was SUCH a relief that he was going to a home and not someone's stewpot! We were so happy about that! Now our coop is quiet, and our neighbors won't complain.
    Here he is at 17 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

The gentleman who took him even invited us to come visit him and his hens! After all the horror stories about getting rid of roosters, that was nice.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I know how you feel! I just had to get rid of a sweet roo. The thought that this beautiful creature would just end up in the stewpot just broke my heart! But, a very nice lady took my roo and he is living happily over his harem of girls. Cricket told me he is such a gentleman with his girls. He won't eat the treats she gives him, but calls his girls over to have them! [​IMG]

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    What a happy ending for all. [​IMG]

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    It was very happy! I'm just so surprised since I read so much about the difficulty in getting rid of roosters! Happy for baby, and happy he'll be a daddy someday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by