SOLD......my rooster!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bburn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    The Lone Rooster has been sold. Saved him from terror in the mixed flock and built him his own coop and run....then bought him some girlies of his own. Instead of appreciating my efforts he decided to try and kill me or breed me....I was never quite sure.

After months of going into that run and coop with a piece of tin in front of me to gather eggs I had finally had enough. I could not walk by his run without him throwing himself at the fence. I hoped in vain that he would knock himself out.

A friend came up last night after dark (as my DH is working out of town) armed with safety glasses, welding gloves and a long sleeved shirt and snatched him off the roost for me and put him in a cage. She ended up having to wrestle him down and decided that getting rid of him was the best option. She thought I was just scared of him. You can't help but be after a while when they go after you every chance they get...even through a fence!

I have known for a long time that I wanted him gone but he did not mind DH and he could go in there with no problems. All of us girls were fair game!

My DGD and I got up early this morning and loaded the cage in the back of the truck and off we went to the chicken swap. We bahahaha'ed all the way down the mountain. We discussed what would happen if we could not sell him and gave thought to turning him loose in the woods! Instead we arrived and had all the attention of the regulars when we showed up with a cage in the back of the truck and lined up with all the sellers. They all came to look. The first one said how much do you want for him and my DGD spouted off that she would take no less than $8.....we all laughed. Then a little man came up and looked for a second and then said what do you want for him......I said for $5 he is yours but you have to get him out of the crate....and we all laughed. He looked at me and said so he is mean huh? I said only to me and my DGD but he likes my husband. He laughed and said that would not bother him!!!

I took my $5 and he loaded up his very beautiful Barred Rock rooster.

My DGD and I looked at each other and said lets go get breakfast!! So in less than three minutes I had sold my problem child and all I could feel is a sense of relief! AND....everyone knew he was a mean rooster!!!!!

[​IMG]

He just has a mean look to him......but he is real pretty!
    [​IMG]

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats wonderful! I had a similar experience with two roos. I went to a swap and within 30 minutes had them both sold to two different people for $10ea. One was friendly and one just never handled so a bit skittish. I also swapped another roo for two 6 week old sexed chicks. A wonderful day for all!

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    [​IMG] Gld you got rid of your problem so easily! BTW, he is very pretty!

4. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    My polish roo is 3 months and is mean. I really think I'm going to have issues with him, glad you got rid of yours I know they can be scary!

5. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, he was beautiful....the reason he lasted so long really. Such a relief!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Isn't it nice when a problem animal has been removed? Such a sense of relief...

7. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    My roo was sort of becoming full of himself, and he pecked me when I got him to put him in the box to go to the auction. But, I had to get rid of him because he crowed too loudly for living in town. I took him to the auction and two people were bidding on him. I got $7.50 for him! Instant quiet.

8. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    My problem birds end up in the pressure cooker! I couldnt pass on a bad bird to someone (glad you told the buyer)

9. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Quote:I had no reason to lie about the rooster. He really did hate my guts and liked my DH. But I was not worried about it....if it had not been this fella there are lots of little ladies that come to the swap looking for a rooster to put in the pot!

And think about it....a mean rooster is not going to be nice to someone else that is grabbing him out of a crate he did not want to be in to start out with!! All the old fellas thought it was funny I was selling the rooster while DH was out of town...like I did not tell him first. I just let them think I didn't.

10. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Ditto. Troublmakers make great soup. I wouldn't pass a problem bird on to someone else.

-S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by