Sold!!! One dozen eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buzymom13, Sep 14, 2010.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I know but we're so excited We sold our first dozen eggs to the neighbor. Made a whopping $1.50 but it was our first dozen sold!!! YEAH!!!

[​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Well done! [​IMG]

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Yippee! I have a refrigerator full ...no one wants fertilized eggs, but we love our rooster, so...what's a little cholesterol for hard working people... right? (no, really, don't tell me.)

4. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Congrats, buzyMom13!
    That is awesome!

5. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Quote:That's a real shame. Before I got my girls we were buying eggs from a local farmer for a YEAR,. One time I needed extra and happened to buy fertilized eggs from the store. My husband said "I don't want to eat fertilized eggs", I said "REALLY?? Because you've BEEN eating them for a year now." He had no clue. Tell the customers they're not fertilized, they'll never know, "The rooster doesn't like these particular girls", just make sure you candle them!

6. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Glad I found this thread!! I have 7 pullets due to lay within the next two months and I am going to be up to my ears in eggs! So I decided to have a contact list of people who would like to purchase farm fresh eggs from me.

Is $1.50 the going rate for fresh eggs these days? I have never had to sell. Always just given them away to my grandparents, but they have their own girls who are also laying so they wont need them!

My boyfriend and his father will be getting free eggs but that still leaves me with a lot of eggs. [​IMG]

So I figured I might as well sell them so the egg money can help pay for feed, shavings, hay etc...

I was thinking $1.50-$2 a dozen, anyone have an suggestions?

7. KristaChickenWhisperer

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    And also: Congrats on the first dozen sold!! [​IMG]

Cant wait for my girls to start laying! Nothing beats farm fresh eggs!

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it is always an exciting thing when the chickens start supporting themselves. [​IMG]

Congrats on your first sell! [​IMG]

9. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] Thankx everyone!

I thought $1.50 was a decent price but I told my mother in law how much I charged and she informed me that at the local farm market she was paying $3.00/doz. Obviously I yelled at her for buying eggs when we have them for her for free!!! But I guess after this new customers will be charged $2.00/doz.

[​IMG]

10. KristaChickenWhisperer

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I am afraid of overpricing! haha! But when I told my mom that I saw some eggs selling for $3 a dozen she insisted that I need to go with how much a dozen store bought eggs were selling for.

I think $2.00 is pretty reasonable though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by