Sold our eggs at the Farmer's Market !!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    We took 15 dozen eggs to the Farmer's Market and was sold out within 1 and 1/2 hours. People were begging us to come back again next week!!

I bought 100 egg cartons for $30.00 which included shipping and made labels for the tops. My daughter put a red gingham tablecloth on the table, put a basket with hay and wooden eggs in it and set an open carton on some hay. We have brown, white and blue layers and put some of each in each carton.

We sold them for $3.00 per dozen, but when spring comes and we have even more laying, I think we'll probably go up a little. We were so excited!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your success, [​IMG]

3. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Congrats! I've been selling produce at the farmer's market, and can't wait until I can start selling eggs. The oldest girls are 3 months now, so I still have a ways to go...

At my farmer's market, egg sellers charge $6... and sell out of eggs within the first couple hours. So I bet you could inch your price up a bit.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Which farmers market did you go to? I love going to those.

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Quote:Holy Cow!! [​IMG]
    I must live to far out in the sticks, I am not sure people would even pay $2 a dozen here!

Good for you if they will pay it, go for it!

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I get $6 here for a dozen [​IMG] just wish the hens would lay eggs [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm happy for you! Doesn't it feel great to know all the work by you and your ladies is appreciate? At our Farmer's Market they were selling them for 3.50 a doz. These were from the first of our project hens last year and the families were so excited about it. I didn't know they were selling already so I didn't get any pics. I told them to let me know next time!

8. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I know, it's really hard for me to believe -- fifty cents an egg! (Heck, I wouldn't pay that, but I'm happy to sell it at that price;) ) I've even heard reports of $7/dozen around here, but I haven't confirmed them myself, so I don't know if they're true or not.

9. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    Do you have to have a permit or something to do any of this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Angela

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Holy Cow!! [​IMG]
    I must live to far out in the sticks, I am not sure people would even pay $2 a dozen here!

Good for you if they will pay it, go for it!

Yeah we tried for $2 a dozen here, no go. We got $1 a dozen, and they tried talking us down!! Crazy cheap-o's!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by