Quote:
HOLY SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif

I'm hoping to get $2 a dozen if I have extras. There are just too many small farms here in Eastern Iowa to hope for more. I might get $3 a dozen if I take them to a farmers market... maybe.

Hey great for you for figuring out that you can sell your eggs at the farmers' market! I am the president of a small farmers' market in South Dakota and we have 2 people that come and sell their eggs. We do require that they have a candling liscense but that is all that is required. Wow you are getting a good price for your eggs too. They charge $1.75 here. In fact I got 2 dozen eggs from a person to incubate and got 12 beautiful chicks out of it. My mistake is why the rest didn't hatch.
sad.png

I am only going to charge $2/dz. If I bought my own cartons and set up a stand, I am sure I'd sell them for more... but seeing as that isn't the case, I see no sense in selling them for more than that.

I want to sell them, not hoard them.
smile.png
My girls work hard!

Quote:
That's my question also. I guess it's a local question. Try contacting your farm market and applying for a booth. They might be able to tell you. It's got me thinking now though that since our Farmer's market opens May 1st....and the girls lay at about 22 to 26 weeks....3 weeks in the incubator...
I guess we should get those eggs in a incubator rather than scrambling them all.

Can I ask a newbie question?
big_smile.png
Are the eggs that all guys sell fertlized? Or do you have a bunch of hens you keep separate from roos? Also how do you go about gettinga candling license? That sounds very interesting.
big_smile.png

Our Farmer's Market charges a yearly fee, and then you can set up each Tuesday and Saturday of the year. As far as I know there are no other requirements.

We sell our eggs for $2 a dozen, and only one person has complained. They commented that they could get eggs for $1.49 at the store, and DH graciously suggested that they go get them there.

I just contacted someone from out ag dept. The laws here in MI are more restrictive than others. Without turning this thread into a rant on govt restrictions on trade and regulatory infringement on private citizens.....
There is an annual license requirement of $70, labeling requirements, and eggs must be cleaned, packaged, and cooled in a seperate facility from the household. You have to pay to take classes on health and sanitation, weights and measures, etc...
So, to sell eggs I would have to construct a second kitchen in a new building. That's not going to happen.

Leah & Horsechick -- The regulations totally depends on your state. Check out your county's local ag office, and they'll be able to tell you what's required. Here in Cali, I think it's a $15 permit. (Plus whatever it costs to join the farmer's market... that's a separate fee that will completely depend on your local market.)

ShellyD--I can't believe people tried to talk you down from $1! What do they think, feed is free?! And besides, homegrown eggs are about 500 times better than the junky ones you buy in stores.... $6 is ridiculous, but I think $1 is even more ridiculous!!

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

I just contacted someone from out ag dept. The laws here in MI are more restrictive than others. Without turning this thread into a rant on govt restrictions on trade and regulatory infringement on private citizens.....
There is an annual license requirement of $70, labeling requirements, and eggs must be cleaned, packaged, and cooled in a seperate facility from the household. You have to pay to take classes on health and sanitation, weights and measures, etc...
So, to sell eggs I would have to construct a second kitchen in a new building. That's not going to happen.

Just to be able to sell the eggs at the Farmers Market?

Sheesh! Sounds like a hassle! That's MI for ya!​

Congrats!!!! We get $3/dozen here too and have a waiting list. Haven't tried selling a farmer's markets yet but maybe next year. It's hard enough keeping up with the customers we do have!

My buff orps just started laying and since their eggs are smaller, we're getting $2/dozen for those.

We also had one customer complain. I also suggested that she buy them at the grocery store instead. She still buys from us every week!

Back
Top Bottom