Sold our eggs at the Farmer's Market !!

Quote:
Yeah, I know it!! It was crazy!! I would have taken them back home and fed them back to the chickens, but they were my dad's. Either way it would have helped out about the same. He has so many birds that he goes through about 400# of layer a month, at $13 per 50# bag. So even if he sold a weeks worth of eggs at $1, he still wouldn't break even. And that doesn't count the water bill and everything else that goes into it! Plus with selling the eggs, he will need more cartons, and those aren't free! Totally not worth it!

Quote:
Just to be able to sell the eggs at the Farmers Market?

Sheesh! Sounds like a hassle! That's MI for ya!

Actually, that's in order to legally sell anywhere. Including your home. Now, he mentioned that they are not in the business of going after people selling out of their homes but that to sell at market you do have to comply with all of these regulations. We do have the "Right to farm act" but that does not mean we have the right to farm without regulation.

Quote:
Hi,
Candling license?

Do you mean to candle eggs? If so you don't need a lisense, just a bright flashlight.
wink.png

We do have a Federal ID # for reporting taxes. After researching and talking to another Farmer's Market director in Florida, the only other requirement is that the carton states that the eggs are NOT GRADED. Otherwise they have to be candled, sorted and graded. We do clean our eggs and they are refrigerated immediately when picked up and we do take them to the market in a cooler with ice to keep them cool.

No permit is required to sell farm produce at a Farmer's Market in Florida. They do charge an annual fee of $25 and $10 booth fee each time you go. It will probably be about every 2-3 weeks that we will go. Of course, that means that it takes 3 dozen to pay the booth fee. But it's better than giving them away. They started eating feed that THEY paid for yesterday!!

ETA: These eggs are NOT fertilized. I have a couple of bantam roos with the big girls but, try as they may, they just can't get the job done.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
The people that sell them here are free range chickens and they are fertile as I have incubated the eggs and hatched them. I Don't know the specifics about the license but it is from the SD state dept of Health, Egg and Dairy Unit. I personally don't sell my eggs as mine just started to lay eggs this fall.

I hope that I answered the questions you had.

Good for you!
clap.gif
Doesn't it make you feel good when they start paying for their own feed? My girls have been paying for theirs and let me tell you! It helps a whole lot!
smile.png

Quote:
Hi,
Candling license?

Do you mean to candle eggs? If so you don't need a lisense, just a bright flashlight.
wink.png

I don't know what it all entails to have this candling license but I assume it is different than just being able to candle your incubating eggs. They may have a dfferent name for it but tht is what they referred to it as.

The markets here are different as we can't run all year long. We only charge $5 a week and that includes Saturday morning and Tuesday evening. There are no other charges other than your own supplies. There is a town not too far from here that charges $150 for the season, $75 to come once and then $75 to come again. We only charge enough to cover the liability insurance and advertising.

Back
Top Bottom