Sold the flock /5 mins flat!!WAH I MISS THEM!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickfillhay, Jun 29, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I took 19 of my birds and their babies to the flea market yesterday. People started to collect. But a man came and gave me $90.00 for all of them . Including the boys. So hubby let him have them and so did I but I regret it now. You see I am pretty certain he is gonna slaughter them. All of them. That's Mama, Taco, Tico, Honey Mustard, Heckyl, Jeckyl, and Dr. Evil. Plus others. [​IMG] I only wish I didn't help take the birds to his house! How horrible for them! I should've closed the door and driven off! But hubby made me stick to the agreement. And told me to get used to it if I'm ever going to make a go of this! I'm glad they sold quick. But I hate where they are now. I want to go get them....but they are probably dead. I am literally in tears right now! The money is helping pay for the feed and the care for the buff orpingtons I have. And I KNOW that no matter what I had to get rid of them anyway. They are too aggresive for buff orpingtons. OH I feel I'm at a catch22. I can't stand it! I wish the went as pets! I think I'll charge a much higher price next time to assure somebody who will raise them nice will buy them. OH SO SAD INDEED! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know how you feel, I really do. [​IMG]

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry. Unfortunately any time you sell or even give away birds you can't be for sure what the person is going to do with them.

4. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    [​IMG] Thank you...You know last night when I went to the coop to do the final head count before lockdown, I looked straight up at the cubbies where the older chickens sat. I briefly panicked for a second before I realized that, yes they were gone. But because of me! [​IMG]

5. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    Next time try not naming them...it helps a lot. And remember..the chickens *you* raised had a good life with good food, fresh water and air and someone who cared about them taking care of them..versus the chickens that are raised in the large chicken houses. Our goal for the animals we eat is.. a good life and a quick and humane death.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with AussieSharon....

How do you know for sure he will slaughter them? Maybe he will see them as lawn ornaments!

7. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Unfortunately. I saw his place. They won't be lawn ornaments. [​IMG] I shouldv'e never gone there. I shouldve' sent my hubby without me!

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm sorry you had to go through this! I know how you feel though. I usually sell off my extra birds at the 4-H fair every year and though I try to screen people, it's really difficult. By accident I sold a beautiful pair of pekin ducks last year to a man who was going to use them for slaughter. I was distracted when he asked to buy them, he handed over the money, and took them. I just nodded and didn't realized until afterwards what he wanted them for. I mean, it's difficult, but they are poultry and that is what they are often used for, so I couldn't be too hard on myself. I knew they had a wonderful life with me and that was all I could do.

It is harder when naming them though. I try to limit my attachments to the birds I know will be sold, especially the roosters!

9. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Think of it as a lesson learned, everyone goes through it. [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree...once they leave your hands, their fate decides with their new owners. We can not keep all of our birds so we give them the best care and love they possibly could have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by