Sold the wrong food now chicks are sick! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DeAnna314, Jul 8, 2010.

1. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I went to a different feed store when I got this latest batch of chicks and asked for Medicated Chick food. I brought it home and didn't think another thing of it until today. It has been about 4 weeks and they have eaten more than half. (ten chicks of various breeds)
    I took them all out for an hour in the outside coop area and noticed there was blood in poop! One chick is lethargic and I have separated her. She has been very chirpy for about a week so now I think she has been sick. She is by far the smallest and not growing very fast.

Ok...the food is called Southern States Specialty Poulty feed....NOT what I asked for! It is not medicated and I am completely convinced that this is why the birds have blood in the stool. They are all about 5 weeks old now. Besides chew on the feed store guy and buy the RIGHT food, how do I help the chickens now? I read about Sulmet and ordered it online. PLease help

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    As soon as you get the Sulmet, use it. Isn't there anything you get get locally till your Sulmet arrives? I buy Cocci-Cure from Foys Pigeon Supply on line...I like it better.

3. DeAnna314

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Okay I bought some of that too. It says on the site to rotate treatment anyway so having both on hand seems like a good idea. Anything else I should do? Do you think they will be okay?

4. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    The best thing to do is keep them eating and drinking until you can get meds. Scrambled eggs, yogurt, plenty of water. Can you get the meds at your local store, so that you don't have to wait on the mail? Once they start acting poorly, they won't last more than a few days, esp w/o meds.

5. DeAnna314

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    My local store didn't have the right stuff! They had huge sulmet pill for horses and out of powder. I will try another store tomorrow...the one that sold the wrong stuff. There is a third I have in mind too. Thank you

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If you can't find Sulmet get Corid which is Amprolium and highly effective on Cocci.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:Corid, thats the name I was thinking of..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by