Sold three quail, now all have died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hanwombat, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Suffolk
    My partner sold two female Californian and one male Californian quail over a week ago, all have been living outside, eating well etc good weights.
    Received a text last week saying both females had escaped into the other quails pen or something and had died and now he's told us today the male has died and saying our flock are diseased.
    All our Californian quail live outside, all good weight, ate active and happy.
    Could they really have been diseased or perhaps there New home set up isnt very good?
    The male and females were all unrelated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your quail are all fine and healthy at home? If the answer is YES, evidently the problem is in his facility.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I would say that if the birds were healthy at your house and didn't die until exposed to their birds that the problem is likely at their end, not yours. Sounds like he did not keep the birds separate as he should have for a few weeks, and the stress of being exposed to strange birds, potential diseases, and who knows what kind of housing if they could "escape" from one pen into the other may all have contributed.

4. Hanwombat

Hanwombat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Suffolk
    Yes all our flock are absolutely fine, he is now demanding for half his money back. My partner isn't best pleased as we care for our quail and wish we hadn't sold them now as they'd still be alive with us.

5. al4x

al4x Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Im hans partner.

I am not selling anymore thats for sure!

According to him he contacted a 'big quail breeder' about the issue and this breeder has said
    'they [mine] may have been ill and it got to them when they got to mine as it killed my quail that i got in september aswell he [the breeder] said they can put up with the cold would have kill them...' i want a refund etc

i reiterate, ours are fine, temps have been down to minus 10 degrees centigrade (about 14F) with no issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by