Sold to me as 'Australorps' but the Roo and two of the nine pullets have feathered legs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mtnviewfarms, Oct 13, 2012.

1. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

so they are obviously not pure Australorps as they have clean black legs as do the
    other 7 pullets I purchased. I had driven a long way to view and pick up the birds so
    when found out about the 'feathered' legs on a few of them I went on and got them anyway as they looked robust and healthy.

Can anyone check out the photos I've posted of the Roo and offer some ideas of
    what breed he may be mixed with?

Are feathered legs a 'dominant' trait or will I be able to use him for breeding which I
    had planned and only select clean legged offspring to keep breeding to get a more
    'true' Australorp?

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    the rooster doesnt look that big,.... It looks like it could be a Cochin, Australorp cross. Im not sure if feathered legs are a dominant trait

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that looks like a pure cochin, bad quality but pure. if it was a cross with a clean legged breed then its legs would not be as feathered as they are

4. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    does that mean the feathered leg gene is more like a 'very feathered, somewhat feathered, barely feathered and none' depending on how much or less the parents have, instead of 'feathered legs or not'?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know for sure, but that seems like what I've seen on here. A bird with one feather legged parent and one clean legged parent can have sparse feathering, and I'd imagine if you bred that sparsely featherd bird to a clean legged bird you'd breed the feathering out.

That roo does look like a cochin, you woudn't want to use him for breeding if you're wanting australorps. You'll eventually get clean legged black birds, but the body type will be all wrong and if you're wanting a good steady layer, well, cochins aren't known for that. Now, if you want to breed in broodiness and size to a mixed breed flock, Cochins might be a way to go, although I agree he's not very big.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    He looks like hatchery quality cochin to me. I would probably look for a purebred australorp if you want to breed. Getting rid of feathered legs can be a pain in the neck as it is a more dominant trait. It would take quite a few generations to breed out when you could just start with a pure australorp instead.

7. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much for all of your thoughtful and knowledgeable replys. I will take your advice and look for a good quality Australorp Rooster
    to use if I breed them.

8. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I do want to say that Cochins are nice chickens too!

9. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    on the " you woudn't want to use him for breeding if you're wanting australorps"...x2
    get an Aussie roo...I wouldn't want to use that one! Actually I wouldn't use it for breeding with anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by