Sold to me as pullets . . .

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by backyardchick7, Jul 18, 2010.

1. backyardchick7

backyardchick7 New Egg

Mar 29, 2010
    Rhode Island
    One of these "pullets" looks like it could be a roo (pic#1 and #2) - the feathers are shiny like my RIR Roo. He/She (in pic #2 alone) is very docile, but so is my red (in pic#3).
    Also, does anyone know what kind of chickens they are. The yellow legs and dark feathers make me think they are some kind of a RIR cross. They are nice birds so far. I got them about six weeks ago and they fit in nicely with the flock I've had for about 3 1/2 months that I got as chicks.

The RIR roo is not crowing yet, my little bantam is though at the same age.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I would say it's a rooster.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Picture 1 the one on the left is a rooster.
    Picture 2 and 3 are a rooster.

Chris

4. backyardchick7

backyardchick7 New Egg

Mar 29, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks - you confirmed what I thought. Luckily I know someone with a farm that can take a rooster for me and give it a good home. I want to try to keep the RIR Rooster if the neighbors don't complain. Do you know what kind of chickens they are in pic#1?

5. grandparooster

grandparooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    They are all Rhode Island Reds. I know because i have 30 or so and they all have a little bit of a color variation. Some will be darker and some will be lighter, its just genetics.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I would say they are hatchery type Rhode Island Reds. (from what I can tell from the picture)

Chris

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Yep tis true

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I raise quite a few RIR and at first I really had a hard time telling the males from females, but as I begun to get more familiar it was easier. I started banding my potential roosters with a band on the Right leg Right for Rooster.

I would guess the last group I did at about 4-5 weeks and I was 100% out of a couple dozen birds. Look for the redder and larger comb and wattle and look for saddle feathers that begin to turn down. It helps a whole bunch to have a bunch at the same age so you can compare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by