Sold wrong breed of chicken - is it an Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OrchidDragon, Aug 23, 2013.

1. OrchidDragon

OrchidDragon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Boonville, Indiana
    My Coop
    I have two pullets I purchased from Rural King this spring they sold as "Araucana". But after maturing, they definitely have a tail. Does anyone else have this breed? Is it an Ameraucana?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Ameraucana or EE.

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

EE ! :)

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Not Ameraucana, for sure. Those are Easter Eggers. And those are two different things--Ameraucanas are not EEs, EEs are not Ameraucanas. "Americana" (look at the spelling) is a way people sometimes spell Ameraucana when they are really selling EEs.

OP, they didn't sell you the wrong chicken--they sold you exactly what they were advertizing as Araucana. Places like Rural King, feed stores, TSC, any hatchery, any place that's not an actual breeder, will not have real Araucanas, no matter what they say. Hatchery Araucanas simply don't exist. It's frustrating, and it's a blatant lie, and I happen to feel that it should be considered fraud, but there it is. A few select hatcheries (Meyer, My Pet Chicken) have Ameraucanas, but many, many other hatcheries advertize Ameraucanas that are really mixed breed Easter Eggers.

Here's a very good discussion of the difference between Ameraucana, Araucana, and Easter Egger: http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feed stores just don't sell true bred birds. Sorry. It's an EE.

As WalkingonSunshine stated, the only way you're going to get a true bred bird, of any breed, will be from a breeder. The feed stores like RK, TSC, etc re-sell hatchery stock. Sometimes the stock is a bit closer to true standard than others, but it is what it is.
    Cheap, available, easy and abundant. Kind of like what McDonalds is to fine dining. [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Easter Eggers come from feed stores, Ameraucanas and Araucanas come from dedicated breeders. You'd be paying a LOT more than a couple dollars per chick if you were buying the true breed.

7. chickydee64

chickydee64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    oregon
    Agree with all of the above comments.
    but wanted to say..............they are very pretty EE's [​IMG]

8. Turtles Mommy

Turtles Mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

This was sold to me as a Barred Rock, when I started looking at adult birds, she doesn't look like them! I am thinking Silver Laced Wyandote? One reason I thought that was her comb. Did i guess right?

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Yes, you are right. But, you really should start your own thread. [​IMG]

10. Turtles Mommy

Turtles Mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Oh, so sorry. I thought it was about wrong breeds being sold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by