Soliciting advice from seasoned chickenfolk?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coloradoquail, Sep 30, 2013.

1. coloradoquail

coloradoquail New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    I'm trying to figure out how to make this short! I'd appreciate advice from seasoned chickenfolk, if possible.

I've got a couple of things going on that I would like to improve upon.

A) Olive eggers: I've got some right now and I want to expand. Who has the darkest F1s available? I've got an aracauna roo ready and waiting for some additional ladies. I also have access to a blue copper marans. I'd like to have some chicks ready to lay by the time Spring hits, and I just have no idea where to look for them. So many people are breeding average color to average color - and I'd like to find someone that is breeding for depth and saturation of color. Where should I look?

B) I'd like to improve my egg business with some commercial stock, but I have no idea how to acquire "big ag" birds, particularly the isa/bovan browns or the hylines. Is it possible to get some of these chicks? If that isn't possible for a "smalltimer" like myself, who would I contact for some quality, consistently laying ladies? I'd like to find birds specifically bred for production, and as such, avoid the purebred backyard bird type hatchery birds.

Thank you.
    [​IMG]
    This is one of my olive eggers. The perfect picture of grace and beauty.

Hehehehehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by