Soliciting opinions....Omlet Cube or Henspa?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kathleengp, Nov 6, 2009.

1. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    We have 4 banties and 2 standard - all but 1 are juveniles - currently in an Eglu. They are out all day long and only in it for night and when I am away from home for a few hours here and there. They seem to love it though. I also have 6 babies that I will be putting outside sometime over the winter, probably with a bit of heat to start. Wed definitely need more room.

DH would like to buy something and keep our current # of chickens for over the winter. We are new and just started this summer. He does not want a big, permanent coop until we have dealt with one full year and are sure we want to invest the time/space. He has requested movable, and pre-made (does not want to build a tractor right now - too many other projects already going).

So I have narrowed it down to a Henspa or a Cube.....

The Eglu we have is great - VERY predator proof. I like being able to scrub it down every once in a while because it is plastic. Can't do DLM so that scrubbability may not be an issue in another coop. Cube also can't do DLM, but it is scrubbable and very darn cute. Very predator-proof.

Henspa can do DLM so may not care about scrubbability (is that a word???). Henspa has electric which will really help with putting juveniles out in Upstate NY winter. Henspa has a great use as an outdoor brooder in the future should we decide to expand. Not very cute...at all. Not sure if it is as predator-proof as the Omlet products.

Opinions??? If it were you and you had to buy, not build, what would you do? I will be gone for 1 1/2 weeks in winter, so the door will be left partially open because our chicken sitter will not be coming to do door duty, just mid-daily check and feeding/water....predator proof is therefore of high importance.

Thanks for helping me spend my money ;-)

gundalyn likes this.
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:The Henspa is MUCH harder to clean than an Eglu. I have had experience with both and the Eglu is easier.

Henspa can do DLM so may not care about scrubbability (is that a word???). Henspa has electric which will really help with putting juveniles out in Upstate NY winter. Henspa has a great use as an outdoor brooder in the future should we decide to expand. Not very cute...at all. Not sure if it is as predator-proof as the Omlet products.

DLM stands for deep litter management, right? I really don't recommend using a heat lamp in a Henspa, the ceiling is low enough for chickens to scorch their feathers! It isn't as predator proof but still a very good coop. The good things about the Henspa: the hens can stay inside all day since the feed and water are inside and if they want to go out, it doesn't involve flying.
    I would pick the 'spa over the cube for winter but the cube over the 'spa for any other season. I hope that made sense!​

4. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hands down....CUBE! IMHO:)

1 person likes this.
  5. kathleengp

Sep 6, 2009
    I would pick the 'spa over the cube for winter but the cube over the 'spa for any other season. I hope that made sense!

Makes perfect sense.....also doesn't help my dilemma - lol!!​

6. kathleengp

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:Can I ask why? I really want other opinions because I am relatively new at this :) I appreciate it!!!!

7. buglit

buglit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    Quote:Wow, thank you for that link. This is exactly what I have been looking for. I purchased the DYI plans today. I think that I'll make my stagecoach bigger though

A recycling idea for chicken tractors. I have taken to wire shelves out of old refridgerators, quickly clip them to the outside of the tractor bottom and then use landscape pins to secure them to the ground - predator proofing the tractor (hopefully). The clips do not allow the wire shelves to tip upward, so critters cann't life them up and dig under.

8. kathleengp

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:No - had not seen that! Thanks! That's got all the features (attached run, movable) and is in the size range that I am looking. I have e-mailed for a price quote on shipping.

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Makes perfect sense.....also doesn't help my dilemma - lol!!

This is a good chance to hone your problem solving skills! I'll be mysterious and not tell you which I would choose. Hint: has an "A" in it.

10. kathleengp

Sep 6, 2009
    This is a good chance to hone your problem solving skills! I'll be mysterious and not tell you which I would choose. Hint: has an "A" in it.

Lol! Thanks for letting me know your vote :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by