Solid covering for chicken run ??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SteveMadonnaJ, Oct 8, 2016.

1. SteveMadonnaJ

SteveMadonnaJ Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    What is everyone's thoughts on solid coverings for chicken runs? We have had rain all day here in central NC (Hurricane Matthew), and of course the run is a mud pit and the chickens are soaked through. I am in the planning stage of a bigger coop and expanding the run from 100 sq ft to 200 sq ft, but am thinking of putting a solid cover on half the run. (my current run is covered by the way) If you have any pictures that would be great.

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I used to have a run that was covered all the way. The problem I had was when it rained sideways, like you are having now, the run never got enough sun to dry out. When I built the new coop I only covered an 8x16 area and keep the feeders and waters under it. The rest of the run is uncovered. Now even if we get several inches of rain in a week, it dries out much quicker. You can click on my profile page to see the coop but I have a very unusual setup, so I doubt it would help you.

3. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    We are also in central south NC and got 4" of rain yesterday. Our run is covered completely but it still got wet inside - just not drenched. It would have been bad if we didn't have a cover. I plan to always have a covered run even if I replace this one or add on. I will add that 1/2 of the run is covered in clear roofing so there is some sun and 1/2 with opaque so there is some shade

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  4. SteveMadonnaJ

SteveMadonnaJ Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    kgb6days ........ what kind of cover do you have?

5. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    1/2 is clear, 1/2 is opaque Tuftex polycarb corrugated roof panels. Hubby got it at Lowes. I've been very happy with it. This summer was so hot and dry that I covered the opaque area up with a tarp just to provide more shade but we are planning on taking it down this weekend. Maybe you can tell in the photo below
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by