1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Solid (or at least more solid) Poop - What to feed and what not to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WasatchChickens, Jul 31, 2013.

1. WasatchChickens

WasatchChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Hi All,

I really appreciate this site, and all the great members who are so willing to share their experience and knowledge. I remember reading somewhere (likely on this site), that somebody had good experiences with a particular type of feed that left her hens poop less runny, in fact, I think it was in relation to the poop slide or poop hammock (for under roost poop mitigation). If any of you have firsthand experience, or know exactly where that post is, I'd very much appreciate the help.

Additionally, are there kitchen waste items that will loosen up their poop with which I should avoid treating them?

Thanks for your answers ahead of time!

Sean

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Good question! I've been told that adding DE (food grade diatomaceous earth) to their feed is suppose to help firm up poop but so far (after 2 weeks) I'm calling bs on that one [​IMG]

3. peacefulbean

peacefulbean Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Ah, I'll be watching this for answers.

4. WasatchChickens

WasatchChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Shouldn't That Be Cs?

5. julie55555

julie55555 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2013