solid poo and runny poo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JennH07, May 12, 2010.

1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    Can anybody tell me why my chicks go from solid poos to runny poos? I let them run around my kitchen and they will poo on the linoleum, the first time it is solid then the next time a few minutes later it is runny. This makes no sense to me. are they sick?? or just nervous? I think they are about 7 weeks old now.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have no idea. It will be interesting to see what others say if we can get this thread on their radars.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's probably cecal poop. One out of every 10 or so of a chicken's droppings will be cecal. Does it stink to high heaven too? That's a cecal poop.

4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I did a search on runny poo and have been reading up. You might find that interesting as well, though most threads I have found are about adult hens. Seems like runny can be normal if it isn't consistently runny every time.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed raw oatmeal to my chickens, it sure helps keep their poo nice . ( for chicken poo)[​IMG]

7. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well, then i had a cecal poop on my shoulder yesterday! [​IMG] my BO was up on my shoulder....i usually let them crawl all over me, on my head etc (they're only 5 weeks old)....well, something stank to high heaven!! i turned around and there was a big load of runny, stinky crap on my shoulder! we have a privacy fence, so i HAD to take off my shirt right then and there! i usually tolerate quite a bit of mess around me and i'm not a girly-girl, but THAT was even too much for me!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    also, keep in mind that chickens don't pee... any liquid comes out in the poo so some will be more watery

9. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i thought i read in Poultry Magazine that the white part of the poo is their urine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by