1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Solid yellow eye no black pupil- no emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilcheepers, Feb 7, 2014.

1. lilcheepers

lilcheepers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    I have a BO she has had a solid yellow eye for many months. It does not seem to bother her at all. No sign of infection or swelling. She is approximately 1 year old. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would really enjoy your input!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of that? I have seen pictures of a white eye before in chronic fowl cholera: [​IMG]

3. lilcheepers

Feb 2, 2014
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    [​IMG]
    Here is her eye. What do you think?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is her other eye yellow also? Does it look like it is cloudy or covered by a film like a cataract? Here is a thread about Mareks disease that shows some eyes with the irregular pupil of Mareks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/280804/ocular-mareks-tiny-squarish-pupil-pics Many times in the eye form of Mareks, the eye will turn gray, or the pupil is not round but irregular shaped, or pinpoint.

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    It looks to me like she is blind. She has a pupil, but it's a faded bluish/ gray color which means she's blind.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. lilcheepers

Feb 2, 2014
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    Thank you I have wondered if it was possible that she had had Marek's or if it was possible she had a cataract. I had looked it up and can not tell. Her other eye is completely normal. Her eyes have been that way since she has been roughly 8 months old. She is now 1 year old. It does not appear to be getting any worse though.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Those were all of the links to pictures that I could find. With the 4 different types of Mareks, they can exhibit one or more symptoms. I couldn't see the pupil clearly in your picture, but an irregularly-shaped or tiny pinpoint pupil is mosy often Mareks. Hopefully it's not that. This is from University of Florida:
    Cataracts

A high incidence of cataracts can occur in flocks with vitamin E deficiency, avian encephalomyelitis infection, or continuous exposure to some types of artificial lighting.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by