Solitary hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lorraine Perth, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Lorraine Perth

Lorraine Perth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    One of my hens just won't integrate with any of the others. She arrived from a hatchery 3 weeks ago with another hen, they are both 18 weeks old now. I had 3 others hens who had been together for only 2 weeks when I added the these 2. She did get a bit bullied to begin with, I think she was more dominant than the one she arrived with, the others just ignore her now. She now spends most of the day avoiding the others who all get on quite well. I'm not sure if she's eating much and the last 2 nights she won't go in the coop to be locked in with the others preferring to roost on the ground under something. She sits facing the fence a lot of the time and looks very sad. Do I need to do anything or just give her more time

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome!
    Give her more time and name her Greta Garbo (I want to be alone). [​IMG]
    As long as she is not being bullied, eating/drinking ok, I think she will probably integrate on her own terms, good luck

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd put her in the coop, not let her stay out all night, to keep her safe and get her in the habit of 'you belong here at this time of day'.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Try getting her to join the others for treats. She might be more submissive than most and may need a bit more time to join the group.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Make sure she is eating and drinking. Is she sitting around all puffed up? Have you checked her for lice/mites? Have you wormed your girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by