1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Solitary or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TexasJ, Dec 14, 2012.

1. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    I'm going to be getting RIR's pullet size 3-5 months old Ive built my coop 2' off the ground with outside nesting boxes on the back and they will have a 14x14 inclosed area to be outside.when I bring them home should I put them straight in the coop and lock the door or not also should nesting boxes be blocked? How long should they stay in there or should they?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new flock. I would recommend keeping them in the coop until they appear 'comfortable' and non flighty. A week generally suffices. Block the nest boxes until they are all utilizing the roosts. Enjoy your flock.

3. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanx i wasnt sure if that sounded right when i heard it but i guess so I also heard you should have a roost at one level so they feel equal is a foot or two to high for them to get on?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Roosts should be situated higher than the nest boxes. Chickens like to roost at the highest point possible in their coop. Nest boxes above roosts is an invitation for the birds to sleep in the nest boxes. Several feet is not too high for roosts.

5. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    That's good cause in the warmer months I would like to see them through the window so I put the roost right below it. they can look out also

6. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Going tomorrow to pick up my chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by