Solo chick with worrying behavior - input?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GallusGal, Mar 25, 2011.

1. GallusGal

GallusGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    The two chicks I recently obtained (one spraddle leg, one on antibiotics after a near drowning) unfortunately did not work out being housed together; the spraddled chick was getting ruthlessly picked on by the other, who was going after the little guy's eyes and feet savagely, and kept dragging its legs out from under it and knocking it down to boot. Anyways, the spraddle chick is not coping with the seperation well. While the other chick eats and drinks on its own and seems calm, the spraddle spends most of its day pacing back and fourth frantically calling. It does not eat or drink reliably unless I "peck" with my finger at the food or water dish, at which point it always seems ravenous. With an eight hour work day coming up tomorrow, I'm worried the little baby will become dehydrated if I'm not there to encourage eating! And the pacing and calling is just non-stop, which I'm sure is burning off most energy it has. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help the poor little critter? I tried reintroducing them a few times already, and the outcome is always the other chick attacking the spraddle.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Is there a way to seperate them in the same pen? Mabye make something that they can still see each other just not be together? I had to keep on chic away from the others for a week while an injury healed...had to put him in the same pen but with a divider so he could still see the others...also try a stuffed animal in there with her...she may be lonley...good luck! [​IMG]

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Put something soft and snuggly in with him. Somthing that feels like momma.

One of those all natural feather dusters do great. a stuffed animal. A mirror.

I'm almost positive that what you have is just a lonely chick.He probably hears

the other chick to, which is probably the reason for all the pacing.

ScissorChick

4. GallusGal

GallusGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    I tried a stuffed animal, and he kept climbing it then tumbling off and falling on his back. I will see about a duster, though. They are in to clear acrylic bins next to each other, which I thought might be the problem: every time he sees the other chick moving about, he seems FRANTIC to get over there with it. Do you think putting them in the same bin with a screen divider so they could physically sit next to each other without the other chick getting pecked would help?

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Go for it. [​IMG]
    I think another poster mentioned that.
    Be sure noone can sqeeze under/through the divider though.

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I had a little spraddle leg chick that was very lonely. I bought some small chicks to keep him company and he was bullied about a bit so I put a separating screen in for them and it kept him from being abused. It wasn't meant to be for the little guy and he didn't make it though [​IMG]

As mentioned put a screen in there between them. It should help out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by