Solo hatch: Putting day-old chick with broody and week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Jun 21, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Against all odds, I've had one chick hatch so far from a batch of shipped eggs. I've had all kinds of issues this batch; faulty thermometers, DH forgetting to turn eggs when I was out of town, humidity issues, you name it. Despite all of it, one chick has hatched. I have a bad feeling she's going to be the only one, no other pips or rocking so far, there's still hope, but not much.

What do you guys do with a solo chick? I don't want her to be lonely and will definitely contact my local chicken breeders to see if I can find her a buddy, but I'm pretty sure they've all finished up their hatching for the year.

I do have one broody with 9 day old chicks, would it be a bad idea to slip in this day old chick underneath the broody at night and see if she takes adopts it? Or are the broody's other babies too old for this to work?

Thanks in advance for all advice!!

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know about a broody. I know you can integrate day old and week old chicks in the brooder. I guess you can try to slip the little one in at night and see if momma takes her. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by