Solo mama hen, feathers missing from tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MasAhora, Nov 22, 2016.

1. MasAhora

MasAhora Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    This morning my segregated mama hen with her one chick was surrounded by mama feathers in their coop run. They are from her tail which looks a naked but a normal pink. It is not the outside tail feathers just the inner feathers so not easy to see.
    The chick is normal and both are feeding well. They can see the other flock mates but not access them.
    We are incredibly lucky with not having a predator problem (hawks yes but no mice, rats, etc). We are also currently lice/mite free.

I missed her second feed last night but she enjoys a 4m x 4m garden with tree and grass. I did notice the water container had been tipped over and was empty which hasn't happened before so I will change that. I wonder if it was tipped in a frakas but can't see any sign of a predator which would have disturbed the other coop mates laying (they have a mesh door separating them).

Any ideas why? My experience with chicken problems is close to zero as I inherited a flock that seem to get on with life just fine.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!

Is it possibly she is molting?
    Inspect where her tail feather are missing to see if there are any pin feathers coming back in.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  3. MasAhora

MasAhora Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2016
    Paraguay
    A friend just had a look with me. He says it looks like an internal parasite that was here on the property once before and knows the medicine used previously, its added to their water. He's gone to buy some of the meds now as he recommends we start treatment today.

The hen has little red bumps in the naked patches which extend along her breast bone, but they do not look like new pin feathers.

Unfortunately my spanish is progessing slowly and learning so many localised terms is a challenge. When the medicine gets here it will be in spanish and I'll have to do the google translate thing to understand what it is.... but Paraguay has many varieties of parasites to learn about!
    Hopefully I can figure out a natural preventative/treatment solution long term.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by