Solo Swedish duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by greenman, Jun 29, 2016.

1. greenman

greenman New Egg

Mar 25, 2010
    Help! I'm just lost one of my two 5-wk Swedish ducks. I have no idea why she(I'm assuming it was she as I think it started out as the smaller). She stayed in the coop more and was not as active yesterday. The 15 chickens are doing fine and crazy, and all I can do is blame myself. What did I do wrong? I've so enjoyed the ducks over the chickens, and so wished I'd gotten more ducks. Thanks in advance for any info. I think this broke hubby's heart.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get the other duck out of the chicken coop for now - did you look her over? Was there sign of injury?

An unbreakable mirror for now, and as much attention as you can give to the survivor. Getting a few other ducks would make sense.

How old are the chickens? Any roosters?

Do they have water 24/7? What's the weather like?

3. greenman

greenman New Egg

Mar 25, 2010
    Thank you so much for your kind reply. No, I could find no marks on the other duck. All the chickens and the ducks are of the same age and have grown up together. The chickens look to the ducks kinda like parents and follow them around, roosting on the concrete blocks next to the pool when they are swimming, or crowding around them when they are nesting. If a duck week to say something, the chickens either scatter, or run toward it. I have started to hold Maury and cuddle him/her now, and she is back to running to me for tomato bites and is back to swims in the pool. I'm actively looking for a somewhat older duck of any kind for now for a friend.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by