Solo, the baby Silkie- Update********Growing up, lots of pals {heart}

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Solsken Farm, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I am listening to the sad peeps of Solo, who was the only chick to develop out of 22 eggs. [​IMG] Solo was born 36 hours ago. Poor little thing is all alone. Has anyone introduced a mama hen to a single chick? I have a bantam mille that is 4 months old that might be a mama, or one of my standard sized pullets. I also have 4 millies that are nearly 8 weeks old. Any advice? I love holding this sweet beautiful baby, but I know my company isn't the same as her own chickie friends.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I wouldnt do that. If they arent broody dont try to do that. The hen might attack and kill the little one. Give Solo a little stuffed toy to lay with.

3. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I agree with SundownWaterfowl. Your other bird's might kill Solo. The stuffed toy is what to do. Solo will think you are it's mama. Is your brooder inside with you?

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    wish you lived closer I'd give you a buddy for the lil guy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. Solsken Farm

Yes, the brooder is inside. I do have a sock and stuffed animal. Looking for a mirror. I am on the hunt for a pal for the little thing. I just began working again, after having the summer off, so this little munchkin will be home alone. My 3 kids will hold it alot, but still from what I have read, these little critters really need a buddy. Sigh....

I don't have a broody hen so won't attempt to do that. What age span would you all suggest I could get away with? I do have a possible chick that is 5 weeks old that I can get from another member on here.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I hatched a little mille (uno) on tuesday under a broody, and also wondered if it would be lonely without another chick. I hope the momma hen is enough. I know how ya feel worrying [​IMG]

7. Solsken Farm

I meant to say thanks Teresann for your thoughtfulness.

Lurky, I would think your mama would be enough for sweet little Uno.[​IMG]

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Are you traveling south any time soon? I am kind of far(gas wise) to travel to for just one (or 5 [​IMG] )chick though. I don't have silkies but a LOT of Ancona just hatched yesterday and today. I wanted a trio and had 17 hatch [​IMG]

Krista

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'm glad you think so. With all the fairs going on right now, maybe you could find someone with chicks. Do you have any others hatching in the near future? I have seen people lone chicks all snuggles up to stuffies, so it must help:) there is also the milford swap this weekend right? Is that too far?

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Out of my first hatch I also have a single chick.(Dutch Banty) I have more eggs that are supposed to be hatching in the next week but in the meantime I have put a little stuffed animal in with him/her too. I work from home so make sure he is always in a brooder in the same room I am in. But I know its not the same as a chick buddy.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by