Solstice Eclipse

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mom'sfolly, Dec 17, 2010.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Monday night/Tuesday morning there will be a total lunar eclipse visible throughout North America. It peaks at about 2 am central time. It should be very cool. For you pagans out there it might add to the solstice celebrations. My dh and older son will be camping in the Guadalupe Mountains, and they should have one of the best views in the southern part of the US. There's not much out there to make light pollution.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/17dec_solsticeeclipse/

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    We're excited about it!

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I'm actually a little jealous that the guys are going to be in such a primo location for the event. I don't really want to sleep in a tent, in December, at 5000 feet when the winds are predicted to be 20-30 mph and the lows in the 30s....but it will be a great place to see the eclipse.

I"ll take the little guy out in the middle of the night to see it.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm eager to see it too. [​IMG]

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Oh great just what I needed! A reason to have to stay up all Solstice night!! [​IMG] As a pagan I usually stay up most of the night. (AS I have gotten older actually staying awake all night has been less important!) I get up long before dawn to start the Solstice bread anyway!!!

6. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I want to see it! I just have to remind myself...can I get a BYC wakeup call?

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    STill think the Maya were off by 2 years with their Doomsday prophecy. An eclipse on the solstice is quite a rare occurence indeed.

8. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    IhaveWhat...will you tell us about Solstice bread? Its tradition, recipe? Thanks:)

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    First time since 1378. I'm staying up for SURE. Now, how to celebrate this unusual event...

10. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Quote:I second that motion!!

Rammy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by