Solution for leg bands for chickens..suggestions please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Does anyone got anyone got any suggestions on different ways or things to do to be able to tell one set of white chickens of one breed from another set of chickens from another breed without having to spend money on leg bands..just want to put on one set of all my chickens.

Thanks much appreciated..
    [​IMG]

2. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    use plastic zip lock ties. I got about 500 for $5 at the store,

3. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Never thought of that I got a whole bunch of those..thanks that will work for me just fine. [​IMG]

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Yes, you can even buy the zip ties at Wal-mart. They come in many sizes and colors.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    You could try nail polish, but it would have to be reapplied now and then.

6. I do not like the zip ties. The leg bands you purchase have the ability to be removed easily, they expand with the chickens when they grow or worse when they hurt themselves and the leg swells.

I buy mine at the feed store and you do not have to buy the whole bag, they will sell you one at a time if you wish.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Someone also suggested using velcro ties. They come in colors, can be easily removed, and can be washed & re-used later.

8. Rufflemyfeathers

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Now I don't know what I will do all good suggestions..have seen people put non toxic color on there feathers but I do not want that.. if anyone else got any ideas still searching...then I will decide what to do..that is what I get when mix breeds of same color..I just don't want to incubate mixed breeds from my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by