solution to worms and MITES!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by five is my dog, Jul 29, 2013.

1. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    i had never wormed my chickens before and i decided why not? i just got chickens and chicks to add to my flock and decided to worm all of them. i used Diatmaceous Earth. you mix it with their feed. but i noticed they werent eating much of it because it will fall off the food because it is powder. so i mix lots of water in with layer feed to where it is wet but not watery. i mix about 1 tble spoon for 7 chickens. they eat it up fast! you can also put it on their skin to kill mites. you can put it in the coop nest and nest boxes even water. just make sure you only add a little to the water. you feed it to them with wet feed every day for 4-5 days giving less every day. then once a week for one month. then once a month for as long as you want. you can put it on their skin as much as you want. it works for chicks too just give alot less. i would only give it too chicks older than 7 weeks. it works for dogs and cats too. pretty much all animals. i got it from tractor supply.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    From what I've read, Diatamaceous earth is useless when it is wet. It works all right for external parasites, but as a wormer, I would say not. It would be great if worming was that easy, but I wouldn't risk my flock's health by using a wormer which might do nothing for them. Of course, who really knows? No conclusive studies have been done on the topic.

3. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    well it got rid of my dogs worms and i wet it then and your supposed to put it in the water for them so..... it says on the label to put it in water and it worked. you could put it on dry food though.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If it worked for you, then I am wrong. I was just going by what I had learned/read about before.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by