Some advice please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 81pooley, Aug 9, 2013.

1. 81pooley

81pooley New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    I was given a cockerel around three weeks ago to start my small flock, a cam legbar, I then went and bought two cream legbar hens and three ginger rangers- all settled in fine and have been behaving normally until the start of this week- one of the ginger rangers became sick, sneezing and not leaving the coop, breathing became noisy- like someone with a sore throat- slowly eating less and only drinking- I kept an eye on her and she seemed fine- a few friends who had owned chickens in the past visited and said she looked fine maybe just broody- that night she died in the coop.

All of the others were fine- no issues- until today my cockerel has begun to have noisy breathing and occasionally sneezing- he is eating fine and still bossing everyone about, but I am concerned he has a respiratory infection the same as my hen- any ideas? I don't want to lose them all.

2. 81pooley

81pooley New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. AbbyTravers

AbbyTravers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Does his eyes seem to have a lot of crusty build up?

4. 81pooley

81pooley New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    No nothing around his eyes- and there wasn't around the one that died- I will go and check this on him though! He seems pretty bright and fine apart from the horrible breathing- it's hard to describe- like someone with a chesty cough...

5. AbbyTravers

AbbyTravers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Ok well that's good they don't have stuff around his eyes. Have you looked do they have any bugs crawling around on them or is it hot where you live?

6. 81pooley

81pooley New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    I just went out and checked them- yes they do- little white mites at the base of their feathers, I hadn't looked as throughout before- thank you! It's not hot at all here so shouldn't be a heat problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by