1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some advice please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carrieNchip, Mar 4, 2014.

1. carrieNchip

carrieNchip Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Gardnerville, NV
    So my shipped first egg of about 30, is pecking around.
    Its on day 23. I can hear the little guy in there... If it hasn't pipped through on its own should I help it out?
    I have read A LOT of conflicting information.

Ive spent over $200 bucks now on the incubator and the eggs. I just want to replace my girls that were eaten by coyotes [​IMG]

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    What you are hearing isn't pecking. It's actually the chick's breathing. They often click for a while even after hatching.
    I never help a chick until after it has been pipped for at least 12 hours. They need this period after pipping to absorb the yolk and dry up blood vessels. Maybe the pip is on the underside of the egg and you just can't see it. Give it some more time before doing anything.

Sorry about your hens.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. carrieNchip

Jul 20, 2013
    Gardnerville, NV
    Ohhhh... very cool, I didn't know. Thank you.
    Its actually chirping in there now. So maybe a baby blue Orpington real soon [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. carrieNchip

Jul 20, 2013
    Gardnerville, NV
    So still chirping just not as loud, maybe due to positioning.
    From what I read if the air cell has been broken into that it would be dark. I candled it just now, 24 hours after hearing the first chirps and the air cell is still intact.

I've read so much about hatching eggs but the anxiety has to just be experienced; theres no way to prepare yourself.

5. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I've been hatching for 8 years and I still get nervous when it gets to the hatching stage.
    If the chick has pipped internally you should be able to see a small beak slightly poked thru the air cell. Not sure what you mean about the air cell being dark. It should still shows up as lighter than the rest of the egg.

1 person likes this.
  6. carrieNchip

Jul 20, 2013
    Gardnerville, NV
    It does show up lighter than the rest. Sorry, it was just something I read.
    Hmmmm so I should see if it got through the air cell...

7. carrieNchip

Jul 20, 2013
    Gardnerville, NV
    Ok well I did it; wrong or not. It wasn't chirping anymore and I panicked. I just wanted to break the egg at the air cell but it kinda all just caved in at the air cell so here my little blue orpington is. I was going to let it do the rest I guess. It did break into the air cell on its own too.
    I think thats the underside of the beak.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    That blood means its not ready to hatch, if you can I would leave it alone now..

1 person likes this.
  9. carrieNchip

Jul 20, 2013
    Gardnerville, NV
    I think it just died. I feel like an ******* [​IMG]my only egg of 30 **** eggs. clearly this learning curve was STEEP!

10. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    We have all ( well some of us) have made the same mistake... Most of us wouldn't own up to it tho [​IMG]

Hang in there, its all about learning what to do and not do... A wise person told me if they were meant to hatch they would, but I have helped a few here and there, its just knowing when and realizing it may die anyways or because of the help..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by