some advice please.

tomcatvmp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
i'm getting increasingly concerned for one of my birds , chuck. Just before Christmas we had a fox attack that killed my two ducks and Martha the hen. the remaining birds Chuck and Berry seemed uninjured but ever since berry has been behaving differently, i first noticed her standing away from the other bird with her head tucked in, she does forage but not as much as the other bird. her comb is pale and small and she appears to be losing feathers around her comb and down her neck the feathers are just the shaft of the feather. she looks generally scruffy and underweight. the coop is clean and she has plenty of fresh food and water. ow and she hasn't laid since the fox attack. Stress? or something more sinister? could she be in molt ?
the changes in her behavior are very subtle so its only me who is noticing.
any advice on what might be going on here much appreciated.

Last edited:
i'm getting increasingly concerned for one of my birds , chuck. Just before Christmas we had a fox attack that killed my two ducks and Martha the hen. the remaining birds Chuck and Berry seemed uninjured but ever since berry has been behaving differently, i first noticed her standing away from the other bird with her head tucked in, she does forage but not as much as the other bird. her comb is pale and small and she appears to be losing feathers around her comb and down her neck the feathers are just the shaft of the feather. she looks generally scruffy and underweight. the coop is clean and she has plenty of fresh food and water. ow and she hasn't laid since the fox attack. Stress? or something more sinister? could she be in molt ?
the changes in her behavior are very subtle so its only me who is noticing.
any advice on what might be going on here much appreciated.

A couple months ago I thought my hen turkey was sick, very similar description (without the stress of a predator attack) as well as very nasty watery diarrhea, turned out to be the molt. It's over now and everything is back to normal including the poo. I would keep an eye on her, worm her if you haven't already and see if she gets any worse.

thanks i have been observing said bird and reading up on the molt and it does look like this is whats happening, it scared the poop out of me so i thought i'd add a little reply in case anyone has a similar prob.

Back
Top Bottom