some advice wanted

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by young budgie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. young budgie

young budgie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    hi everyone, i have a question and it might of been asked b4 but here goes again, is it ok to add eggs to an incubator even do i already have some in it for a week already, i have some new breeds of egg and i want to incubate but i alread have 12 eggs in the incubator already, there dutch bantam and yokahama bantam, and i will be getting my little hands on some new eggs this week, and i have no idea if it is a good idea or not to add to the incubator

2. chanda

chanda Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MS
    SURE you can--just consider that you'll probably need to brood them separately as older chicks will sometimes pick on the younger ones...literally! Make sure you have enough waterers!

Have fun!

Chanda

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I always have. Just have a plan for day 18 and hatch day. You have to raise the humidity, and remove the turner on day 18 no matter what. Some people do it in the same incubator. They remove some of the trays from the turner, and raise the humidity for those three days. Good luck!!

4. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    yup!!

I think more folks do it that way than not. I enjoy a staggered hatch, but it can get wearisome, too. I have been hatching every three to five days for five weeks now...I am starting to lose my excitement over it lol. Ok, maybe not.

I love hatching, and it CAN get a little intense to do staggered hatches, but for the most part it is well worth it.

Good luck with your eggs!

5. young budgie

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    superdeeeeeduper,thanks everyone for the help and replys, its all appreciated

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Having another unit to hatch in is what makes staggered hatches good to go otherwise you take chances of having a lower hatch rate by opening the bator up to often or having the humidity up high for the hatchers. Also too much activity from the hatching chicks over the not-ready-to-hatch ones.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Unless you have a 2nd incubator to use as a hatcher it is never a good idea to stagger hatches in one incubator. The outcomes are not nearly as good as they are when you set a hatch and leave that single hatch to develop.

Since you asked that question I presume you are an inexperienced hatcher? Gain your skills one hatch at a time before staggering and moving on to separate hatchers.

8. young budgie

Apr 24, 2009
    leinster,co laois
    Quote:inexperienced isnt the word,more like fresh as a daisy, never have i hatched eggs in an incubator,only under a few bantams,but this time the bantams i own are way too wild for me to put eggs under so im going to try my hand at hatching using an incubator,the eggs im using for hatching are all different,
    12 buff sussex
    6 brown sussex
    6 blue/brown cochin
    6 red mottled leghorn
    6 yokahama bantan
    6 dutch bantam

so herees hoping to a bit of success

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I wish more sussex colors where easy to get in the US as it is in other countries....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by