some advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aldernay, Jun 20, 2011.

1. aldernay

aldernay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Hi am am new to all this. I said hello as a new member on the 6th June and got a lovely welcome.

Before I got my two hens I ordered a flat packed coop and run and put it up and was so distressed to see it was tiny (it was advertised as suitable for 6 hens, it barely fitted my two!) so have spent the last two weeks constructing a large enclosure from pallets and chicken wire. They are much happier now (Ethel and Tallulah). [​IMG]

My question is that I would like to get another hen to make the number three and would like to get a big hen - is there a problem with them mixing and could anyone suggest a breed?

I am really new to this and this site is brilliant but it is a bit overwhelming with its sheer size!

Im based in Co Wicklow in Ireland and Im guessing the breeds availabel may be a bit different than in the US?!

Thanks in advance

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    Welcome! [​IMG]

Most chickens will mix together fine, but what breeds do you keep? Some breeds may be more aggressive to others. When you also get new chickens, be sure to quarantine them for a month to be sure that they to not have any dangerous diseases. Also, when the chickens are introduced, they will peck at each other. This is normal, they are only establishing their pecking order. Here's a link for more info:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

3. aldernay

Jun 5, 2011
    Thank you for your reply. This sounds really ignorant of me but I have on RIR and a similar sized white girl. She is pure white, I have forgotten her breed in the excitment of getting them - I got a bit carried away. I had waited a long time to get them! I was thinking of a Jersey Giant?? But I dont know much about them or whether they mix.

4. Rainbow Dash

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    I'm thinking the white hen is a White Leghorn, but I could be wrong. Do you have any pictures, by chance? [​IMG]

5. aldernay

Jun 5, 2011
    I do. I will have to work out how to up load them from my complicated camera![​IMG]

I was just worried that a third large hen would upset the two girls I already have.....

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quarantine, not even shared air, for 30 days. Then put the new hen somewhere they can all interact and get aquainted, but not in actual contact. Sometimes it seems to take forever to get the introductions properly done! Best of luck!

[​IMG]

7. aldernay

Jun 5, 2011
    Thanks I will do as you suggest, sorry for another question though. I only want to have three hens and I already have two. Should I get another two so that the new one doesnt have to stay alone for a month? Would she not be very lonely for a month on her own?

8. Rainbow Dash

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
  9. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Better two...so the novelty for the new arrivals is diluted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by