Some are laying, some aren't

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrogDoc, Oct 11, 2011.

1. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    We currently have one rooster and six hens and we get three eggs nearly every day. So, we have two that aren't laying. They're the same age, and seem healthy. We've caught Big Rose, Meatball and Fast Ted in the nesting boxes (can you tell my kids named them?? [​IMG]) but nothing from Fluffy or Young Elvis (okay, I named her [​IMG]). Is this type of thing normal? Could these other two be roosters?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Chickens lay eggs every 27 to 36 hours. So, if you chicken lays at 8 am one day, it may lay at 10 am the next. If the chicken is already in bed when it is time to lay, she'll hold it until the next morning. So, you should not expect every hen to lay an egg every day.

If you DO get a hen that lays every day....breed her. [​IMG]

3. FrogDoc

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    Yeah, it's probably every day plus some ... but we get one blue, one cream and one brown. Same three every day or so. It makes for a pretty egg basket, incidentally. [​IMG]

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I have one hen who lays every 6 days & then takes a day off. My other hen started laying regularly this last week, and then I have a third who has started laying, so she is on again off again. I guess today is their day off, since I usually have 2 eggs before 12:30 & so far no eggs at all today.

This is off topic, but I thought it was cute. My girls were out enjoying the back yard & Color Coded themselves.

[​IMG]

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Oh my! How cute is that! I almost didn't see your barred rocks! They are so camoflaged!!! [​IMG]

6. FrogDoc

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    THAT is super cute! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by