Some baby duck questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quackerfactory, Jun 24, 2011.

1. quackerfactory

quackerfactory Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Right now I'm using towels for bedding, as I read that was best to prevent their legs from getting splayed. They are 5 days old now. Can I use wood pellets? When are they old enough that I don't have to worry about their leg growth? I am looking for anything that would make a good cheap alternative to smelly towels!

Also, if it's warm outside how old should they be before I let them explore in their pen for a little bit while I'm outside with them?

2. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I don't think you need to worry too much about leg issues anymore. I bought one bag of pine shavings that lasted the whole brooding period for me (I only had 3 and 2 brooding at a time) My ducklings went outside to explore the yard at about a week old or so. By two-three weeks they were outside all day and night with a heat lamp. We have mild weather in spring with lows in 40s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Pine shavings are the best bedding from the minute they come out of the incubator. When I raise ducks I get their smelly, nasty butts outside as soon as possible. Any time day temps are over 90 they go outside at one week old.

4. quackerfactory

Jun 19, 2011
    Oh my god your ducks are so cute! What breeds are they?

5. quackerfactory

Jun 19, 2011
    We have been keeping them in our laundry room so luckily the smell stays in there, but oh my god I knew they'd stink but they are just poop machines! I can't even fathom having more than 2. Usually our summers are full of high 80's lower 90's starting early Junebut this year it's only gotten up to 80 once so far. Hoping it warms up soon so I can get them their area set up outside.

6. kdmp7244@aol.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Wilmington, Ma
    They are so cute. I use pine shavings usually

7. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by