Some bleeding around the toe nail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tacswa3, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    3 days ago I noticed a small amount of blood around the nail of one of my RIR. After some aggravation I was finally able to catch her and apply some Blu-kote. I did see another hen try and peck the blood.

Today I noticed some more bleeding. From what I can tell its the same wound and it may have opened up again. Appears to be where the nail meets the toe. (Right around the base)

All my reading (I'm a newbie) says blu-kote is good to use to prevent pecking and aid in healing. Now I just some posts where it shouldn't be used in food producing animals.

It is a real chore catching her to try and treat her. I don't know if she is causing the injury or others??

Any recommendations on what to use to seal this wound up before it gets worse? I really don't have the means to separate her at this point.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    BluKote is widely used here despite that warning. I use it myself, although I haven't needed to often.

Do you perhaps have wire floors? If not, maybe she is re-injuring it in the course o ordinary foraging, and will need a few days of confinement.

3. Tacswa3

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    No, no wire floor(s). I'm probably not gonna be able to apply more blukote on her til Saturday when I have some help. She is hard to catch and once I catch her I need some hands to apply treatment. Problem is whats gonna happen to her from now til Saturday.....

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Can you go in the coop after dark and sneak it onto her?

5. Tacswa3

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I doubt it, unless she is huddled in a nesting box like they have been lately. The coop is not a walk in and the roost bars are to far forward from the access door to reach being sneaky. However, after inspecting her toe today I didn't see any blood and things looked good. Hopefully will stay that way.

6. Tacswa3

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I haven't seen any more fresh blood as of today, but she appears to be favoring the foot/leg. Only places it down to walk. While standing still, she holds it up close to under her belly. I can't see anything obvious, or I just don't know what I'm looking for??

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had one that got her toenail caught in the chain link fence after hopping over it too may times. It came off after a few days, and it was quite painful for her. It got better without any treatment, however the nail did not grow back.

8. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd just keep an eye on her, then. Look for signs of infection: redness, warmth or swelling. It may just still be sore and take a while longer to finish healing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by