Some breed help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ErravensAddiction, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ErravensAddiction

ErravensAddiction New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    This may seem like a bad/weird thing but I am not really a bird person. I am on here for some help in getting my father a few laying hens. The last two years we (as a family but mostly my father) have raised poultry chickens. He enjoys it (grew up on a farm) and we as a family did as well. But when the chickens gt bigger we always moved them to a friends farm.
    Are last batch (about 40) we keep the whole time and my father seemed to get very attached. The chickens adored him and listened better then our dogs do to him.
    So I am secretly trying to get him some laying hens for Xmas. I was here wondering if anyone has help on some 'pretty' (anything past the white broilers I am used to) laying chickens. If anyone is in the PA area and other helpful info.
    Thanks
    Dallas

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Hi, Dallas, and welcome to BYC! It's not a bad / weird thing - I think it's very thoughtful and your father is lucky to have a daughter like you. There's a recent thread called something like "If you could only have 10 chickens..." and asks posters to identify the chickens they'd pick and why. I think it would be really helpful for you. I'm partial to Easter Eggers - they're pretty, the friendliest chickens I have, and lay very pretty blue-green eggs.
    Good luck!

3. ErravensAddiction

ErravensAddiction New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks I'll have to try and look that thread up and those chickens. ^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by