Some breeding questions.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jferlisi, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i know some stuff about breeding and but there is still some things i have questions on. So i have a lavender ameraucana hen and a black ameraucana roo and a Lavender split ameracauna roo. I would like to start a project on getting a lavender flock going. I dont know if my black is a split or not cause i haven't hatched from them yet. So my question is how should i breed them to get more lavenders? Should i breed they black to the lav and get splits, and breed a few of those hens to my split? Then take a roo from them and breed him back to my lavender hen and keep a few lavenders? I believe the chart would be better of an explanation of what i would like to do.
    [​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i breed my lavender hen to ur split rooster for a while then switch and breed from ur black rooster that way u get lavender this year and then 1\\2 related splits for later

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok but would they still be far enough apart in genetics that i can still breed them?

4. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Anyone?

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:yes

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if ur pen big enuff u could keep both rooster with all the hens
    or bree all hen one male for month then switch male breed other male for a month

7. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:But what im asking is if i do it the way my chart shows or switch the roos even will it make them far enough apart genetically?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by